Here is my own version of Mac’n’Cheeze, vegan style made with a delicious cauliflower sauce. I serve it with quinoa pasta. Sky loves this recipe, and no worries if your child doesn’t like cauliflower; the taste is subtle and blends right in with the yeast and tomato paste.
Pictures by Marï Photographie
Preparation time: 45mins
Cooking time: 30mins
- 5 cups of cooked pasta (I used the gluten-free Gogo Quinoa pasta)
- 1 medium sized cauli-flower head
- 2 cups of vegan milk, non sweetned
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast (flakes)
- 1 tablespoon of maply syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Paprika
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- Bring your pot filled with water to a boil, and the cauli-flower head (chopped into pieces), for 10 minutes.
- In a blender, add the cooked cauli-flower and milk. Blend until you get a smooth and creamy texture.
- In a frying pan add: butter, the cauli-flower mix, the tomato paste, the paprika, salt and pepper and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and maple syrup as your lower the heat. Let simmer for another 3 minutes. Pour sauce over pasta and mix thoroughly.
- Serve while hot, with pepper and add the green onion on top for a pretty presentation.